A long-running build diary for a wide-body Nissan Silvia S14a time attack car - SR20DET turbo, suspension, aero, brakes, cage and safety gear, plus track days at Wakefield Park, Eastern Creek and Phillip Island. Documenting the build, the breakages and the fixes since 2003.
Seat Rail - S15 Super Low Custom Design
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
-
Saw a nice really low set up for some custom seat rails in a S15 recently, was in the dark so pics are not the best but you can see them cut into the floor and braced against the tunnel.
This afternoon I was pretty happy with myself. After 2 weeks of doing nothing much aside from things to do with other then car i managed to get into the shed and watch the Wakefield 300 and then V8s whilst fiddling with the car. I managed to get the Alternator firewall connector drilled and pretty much fitted as well as changing the rear of the power panel. I had to do this as after deciding to go with the Tyco isolation switch I needed to change the wiring around a bit.
I was lucky enough to attend the Macquarie Racing trackday at Wakefield park, was a fantastic day. I had planned to shake down the car after the clutch install and with the previous overheating issues that I had experienced. The first session the temps were around 24deg with little to no wind, the car performed well with temps very stable after 8 laps at around 1:04 second mark. It was just me and two other cars out of the track, I came back in to check on things and the tyre pressures. The second session I wanted to continue to check the car and if all was OK I would duck out at lunch time and put on the 3 spare tyres I have had sitting around for about 5years, not the best to set times on but with the rears now without tread I needed to change them over. Unfortunately about the 3 rd lap in the intercooler hose blew, trying all of the shops in Goulburn I was not able to get a replacement 2in to 3in 90deg elbow silicone joiner.
After a recent trip to Wakefield, driving back the rear tow down had come loose and the car was only secured by the two front tie downs. When I got home and realized I could see that the car had moved back about 30 cm and onto where I had secured the splitter using the remaining strapping from the now loose tie down. Had I hit the brakes hard there was nothing stopping it from moving forward. I have been using the following method for some time which is, two tie downs off reinforced front tie down points on the car to custom eye bolts on the draw bar. One one strap across and through the rear diff cradle. This method has worked well up until now, with 11h trips to Phillip Island and having minimal issues, I think a mix of tiredness and not tightening the straps correctly have caused the issue. Time for a rethink. I have been looking online at a number of different options and methods and came across one that uses the existing 50mm wide tie downs and a short stra...
Comments
Post a Comment