Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

New Steering rack and replaced Kazama tie rod ends which were bent!!!

A bit of an update,

Had some issues for a while when after pulling the car off the trailer noticed what I thought was oil coming from the driver’s side, now originally I thought it was the remote mount for the oil cooler and filter but noticed the driver’s side steering boot was damaged.
The Passenger side one had been replaced when the car was last at Powerplay as when it came up for rego the car got knocked back because of play in the passenger side wheel, I thought this was the hubs but it ended up being a shagged relatively new Tein tie rod that had gone mainly because of the boot was damaged on the passenger side.

The passenger side boot was replaced along with a new tie rod and got it passed rego and the car hasn't done a lot since, now after noticing the oil leak on the weekend I bit the bullet and got a new boot for the driver’s side and pulled off the old one and noticed it was not oil from the motor but power steering fluid.
Decided then and there to pull the rack out and arrange to get it rebuilt.

When I pulled out the rack I noticed the new Kazama tie rod ends the passenger side one was bent, they have only been on the car for two track days and have shat themselves.

Ringing around on Monday rang Pedders @ Blacktown and they quoted me just under $800, after I picked up my jaw from the ground I have rung around and was speaking with Martin a member in the NSCC who suggested Mr Racks @ Unit 2/ 20 Tucks R Seven Hills which is next door to Unique Autos. They quoted me $350 for a reconditioned rack and actually had one there already to go when I went there but as I had the different strengthened tie rods and had to wait a little bit for the new ends they thought it best to just rebuild mine.
(Should have just taken the reconditioned one but no silly me, more on that later)
With the tie rod ends I had the Kazama ones and they are ****, doing some searching there is a wide variety of spherical bearing ends and in various metal and strength types.
Passenger Side One Bent
Posted Image

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

New Bilstein Suspension Adjustable Dampning

I ended up going with the Bilsteins after much deliberation, i was so close to spending a little more and getting the Murray Cootes with remote canisters and separate bump and rebound adjustment but the main thing was ease of service.

The Bilsteins ended up costing me $4686 and i supplied my own camber tops, they have the adjustable shafts in them which allow me to change the range but not independent bump and rebound.
Front – Bilstein inverted monotube shocks in custom made front struts, with strengthened and braced mounting brackets, Eibach ERS main springs
Rear – Bilstein Monotube shock with coilover sleeve, Eibach ERS main and helper springs

The remote mounts for the Bilsteins were a further $2500 which i could not justify, these are made buy Murray Coote anyway.

Initial impressions around town are they absorb the high speed bumps very well a lot more then what i have experienced with japanese coil overs, impressions on the track are good and allow good consistant contact with the surface and the digressive valving on the front coil overs helps with hitting the ripple strips.
I have made a few changes with tyre size and alignment as well as diff ratios but managed a PB at wakefield on the weekend with a 1:06.5670 which i was quiet happy with, the car felt so fast and the first session peeled off a 1:07 flat and to come out with a mid 6 is so great.

Here are some pictures of the suspension and putting it in

Posted Image