Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, October 29, 2018

Trailer tie downs

After a recent trip to Wakefield, driving back the rear tow down had come loose and the car was only secured by the two front tie downs.
When I got home and realized I could see that the car had moved back about 30 cm and onto where I had secured the splitter using the remaining strapping from the now loose tie down. Had I hit the brakes hard there was nothing stopping it from moving forward.

I have been using the following method for some time which is, two tie downs off reinforced front tie down points on the car to custom eye bolts on the draw bar. One one strap across and through the rear diff cradle. 
This method  has worked well up until now, with 11h trips to Phillip Island and having minimal issues, I think a mix of tiredness and not tightening the straps correctly have caused the issue. Time for a rethink.

I have been looking online at a number of different options and methods and came across one that uses the existing 50mm wide tie downs and a short strap that they go through, this then forms a loop that goes over the wheel and is tied down at an angle to the sides of the trailer.


A lot suggested only two were required but I wanted to be sure so have gone with 4.
First attempt and it seems to secure things well although there is some slight movement forward and back which has me worried a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment