Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, November 29, 2010

diff chattering fixed!!!!

Well i was a little sick today so I decided to stay at home for a mental health day.

I thought it might be nice to drive up to Hornsby and talk to Langs about my diff as for those of you that have seen the car driving around before the diff for as long as I know it is about as subtle as a brick through your window with a note saying have a very ****ing merry Christmas.

So driving in the guy nearly has a heart attack and says it's the worst he has ever herd!!!!

I was talking and my thoughts were something like uni joints flogged, LSD plates worn or teeth missing from the crown or pinion wheels but no... He said that the chattering is caused by the plates in the LSD gripping then letting go or sliding and it is amplified by the drive train.

He also suggested to not use a fully synthetic LSD oil as he suggested just sticking to a mineral based oil and adding "friction modifier"?

So i grab a bottle of friction modifier from him for $20 then head off to Autobarn an pick up some reasonable priced Penrite Sin LSD oil.

Get back home and change over the fluid in the car and add in most of the friction modifier(forgot to add the rest of the bottle as had by then filled it up to much).

Went for a drive around town and immediately made a massive difference!!!!!

There is still some noise don't get me wrong but nothing compared to what it was before. Apparently it should further reduce as the friction modifier works it's way into the clutch plates.

Anyway thought I would share my experiences with you and chuck up some photos of the products I used.

Also changed the motor oil and think i need to change the gearbox oil as well now, found the problem with the water sensor and it is a faulty resistor on the sensor - faulty or broken probally the latter then became a fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment